It’s said you can tell a lot about a man by the enemies he makes..
If that’s true then Scott Pruitt, Director of the Environmental Protection Agency
must be doing something right because everyone profiting from the Great Ethanol Boondoggle is out to get him.
Two reasons spring immediately into the ThoughtMarauder’s peanut-sized brain –
- Because the Ethanol Business is quite possibly the most epic Grift in Modern American history. Think of it as a
government(oops) taxpayer-funded feelgood orgy where everyone (Lobbyists, Middle-America politicians, oil refiners and Big Food) gets a big cash nut – everyone but you of course. All you get is the bill, if that makes you feel any better.
Can you say Cornholed?
Corn Ethanol was introduced over 40 years ago with two noble goals – improving Air quality and enhancing our national security by reducing our reliance on oil imports from around the world – most notably the Middle East.
The use of Corn as a bio-fuel was lauded by all when it was first introduced. It was understood at the time that it was only Phase 1 of a multi-phase process to incorporate and convert other more efficient natural resources into bio-fuels. Resources such as sugarcane, wheat, algae and switchgrass to name only a few. They are much better candidates for conversion because they are more naturally abundant and require much less energy to convert into fuel.
Sadly, what was supposed to be a short-term bridge to better, cheaper, cleaner fuel quickly turned into a disaster for everyone – the taxpayer, the environment and the alternative-sourced bio-fuel industry – everyone that is except for the above-mentioned groups who are profiting enormously from the Corn-Ethanol industry (thanks to government subsidies and the RFS (Renewable Fuel Standard)). They are keeping the corpse of this unwanted and un-needed boondoggle alive. Director Pruitt, to his credit, is determined to reduce or eliminate the EPA mandate that costs each American approximately .40c per gallon to subsidize, requires more energy to produce than it creates, has produced no measurable reductions in CO2 emissions – and most importantly – no one wants or uses!
Honestly, have you – or anyone you know – ever actually filled their tank with E85 fuel at the gas station?
2. Every four years the eyes of the Nation focus on Iowa because it’s the site of the first Presidential caucuses. Every candidate knows if he’s going to survive the crowded field of candidates he must do one thing – Kiss Ol’ King Corn’s Ass. Whether the candidate believes the subsidies and mandates are warranted in his political heart are of no consequence. If he wants to survive Iowa, he better support it!
The corn-ethanol industry needs to die. The only one interested in burying it is Director Pruitt. He is up against formidable adversaries with billions of dollars at their disposable. They will stop at nothing – short of murder? I suppose – to put an end to his efforts.
Witness these recent manufactured “scandals” intended to force him to resign or be fired by President Trump –
- Asked the former Speaker of the Virginia House to pen a Letter of Recommendation to the University of Virginia Law School on behalf of his daughter. (This letter was requested prior to his appointment to be Director of the EPA).
- Members of his EPA staff allege they had to set up meetings with wealthy people, arrange travel plans and try to get him tickets and access to Washington Nationals baseball games. (Am I missing something or aren’t these all things assistants are expected to do?)
- Director Pruitt managed to secure 50-yard line tickets to the Rose Bowl for the National Championship Game between Oklahoma and Georgia for less than the cost of tickets on the secondary market. (How are we going to survive as a nation with this enormous cloud of scandal above us – OH MY!!) A bigger scandal is how the hell did Georgia ever get into the National Championship anyway? Hmmm
- Most damningly, he’s been accused of eating more than twice a week at the White House cafeteria. Seriously?!
This is what happens when you take on the Swamp. If you don’t destroy them – they’ll destroy you.
Only the Brave carry on..
I thought about linking to this funny Cornholing article, but I decided not to..